Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Funeral Procession/Lunch/The Big Sick

I have to cross two lanes to get to my exit. There was a lot of traffic today so I was quite pleased with myself when I was able to get into the necessary lane. That was, of course, before I realized that I had cut into a funeral procession. I tried to shrink down in my seat but my intrusion was evidently apparent as a black long-sleeved arm appeared out of the window ahead of me, and proceeded to give me the longest middle finger ever.

Last week my friend and I ate lunch en plein air as one should in the summer. It wasn't until we were sitting outside that I realized that the place I worked the previous summer was directly across the street. Background information: I worked teaching English to middle school aged inner-city youth. The program was thrown together last minute. It was relatively chaotic. At one point, I kicked a kid out of the class for being horribly ignorant to which he replied that I was "racist" which made no sense to me because hello, I would have kicked the entire class out of that was the case. It was this experience that I also learned that "anonymous" surveys are not at all anonymous. When asked to fill out the "anonymous" survey at the end of the summer program, I filled out quite honestly. One question was: "Do you think you will work here again" to which I replied "definitely not". Well flash forward to this summer, and shocker, I didn't hear from the coordinator. I did, however, have him recognize my squeaky voice chatting away while I ate my lunch across from my former work site. He asked if I was working this summer; "Nope, well I didn't hear from you." He responded with, "Well did you reach out to us?" Me: "Nope, definitely not. Nice outfit." End scene.

Except the scene kept running just with other characters. For instance, this woman plops down a dvd in the bus stop bench in front of our table. A couple of minutes later, she got on the bus, forgetting her dvd. Enter a man in a hat who takes the dvd. My friend and I were like, what is up with this dvd. Ten minutes pass and the woman is back asking if we saw anyone take the dvd. Next thing you know, she is borrowing my phone. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, figures less than a month ago my phone was swallowed in mud, then I got it replaced, then cracked the screen, then got that replaced, and now it is in her hands. Oh well, I can probably out run her if worse comes to worse. And by probably, I mean definitely, well, except if my Larry Bird knee started acting a-fool.

Saw that movie "The Big Sick" with my friend tonight. We figured it would give us some hope in regards to the love department. Final verdict: not so much. While I am quite glad (read: mildly jealous) that it worked out for the couple in the film (which is based on a real story), the only chunk of wisdom that we parted with is the following: in order for a man to realize he is in love with you/miss you, you need to be in a coma. So, unless somehow I end up in a coma, it it is not looking so good for me (ha?).

No comments:

Post a Comment